Are you worried that Google is spying on your online activities and gathering your data? Well, with the recent problems pertaining to smart devices listening to you, of course you would be. In light of the growing consumer concern regarding online and data privacy, Google is rolling out some new tools for you to use. So, if you don’t want Google spying on you, I would highly recommend using them.
You can now stop YouTube from tracking your video history with the new auto-delete feature. You have the option to delete your history every 3 or 18 months. As would be expected, they warn you that doing this could result in YouTube recommending videos you’ve already watched.
How To Auto-Delete Your YouTube History:
- Make sure you are signed into your Gmail account.
- Go to myactivity.google.com (on your Google Chrome or other mobile browser).
- Click on Activity Controls.
- Scroll down to the section YouTube History and select Manage Activity.
- Go to the section Keeping activity until you delete it manually, and select Choose to delete automatically.
- Then, choose the best option for you (keep for 18 months or keep for 3 months ), and press Next.
Web & App Activity Auto-Delete
Just like with YouTube, you can now auto-delete your web browser and app activities. It will delete your personal data from Google services like Play, Search, and Maps.
How To Auto-Delete Your Web & App History:
- Sign into your Gmail account and visit myactivity.google.com.
- Tap on Activity Controls.
- Choose Manage Activity under Web & App Activity.
- Scroll down to the section Keeping activity until you delete it manually, and select Choose to delete automatically.
- Choose either keep for 18 months or keep for 3 months, and select Next.
Google Maps Incognito Mode
Incognito mode will be available on iOS and Android phones soon, so be on the lookout! While in this mode, you’ll be able to search destinations and travel to locations without it being recorded in your location history. Also, others will not be able to see any of your past destinations or searches as well. This is definitely a better option than just turning off your location setting entirely.
This feature will be accessible in your Maps apps by clicking on your profile icon, as displayed below.
Coming soon to @googlemaps, when you turn on Incognito mode in Maps, your activity—like the places you search or get directions to—won’t be saved to your Google Account. Just tap from your profile picture to easily turn it on or off. #io19 pic.twitter.com/z7GRkkmDbn
— Google (@Google) May 7, 2019
Google Assistant Delete History Command
If you use Google Assistant, you can now delete any recent questions or voice commands you’ve asked it. By simply saying, “Hey Google, delete everything I said to you last week,” your saved information from the past week will be deleted.
So, if you are worried about Google collecting your account data, use these handy tools. There’s nothing more essential than making sure you know who has access to your online data and how they are using it.