It’s common practice today for people to have hidden apps on their cell phone. Any application can be hidden from Facebook Messenger to spyware. Even though it’s easy to hide one, it can be difficult for someone to find hidden apps on a smartphone. Below, we discuss the top reasons for hiding applications, the most commonly used hidden apps, and how to find them on a phone.
Reasons To Hide Phone Applications
- You’re Secretly Tracking Your Kid’s Phone
If you’re a parent, you understand the need to make sure your child is safe. Parents today often use parental control and spy apps to track their child’s phone activity. Not only do they want to know what their child is up to, but they want to make sure their kid isn’t being targeted by online sexual predators and cyberbullies. For example, a father found out his 9-year-old daughter was messaging a man who had a history of child pornography.
- You Want To Hide Things From Your Parents
Most teenagers want their privacy and don’t want their parents to know everything they’re up to. This includes having a new boyfriend or girlfriend, sexting, going to parties, and more. Often, they’ll hide private messaging apps on their phone to keep their parents from seeing them.
- You Want To Hide Your Love Affair
If someone in a relationship is cheating, they’ll likely hide phone applications to cover their tracks. There are iPhone and Android apps cheaters commonly use such as Vaulty Stocks and Ashley Madison. However, hiding these applications may not be enough to keep their affair secret since there are tools and apps to catch a cheater.
The Most Used Hidden Phone Applications
Vault is a hidden app that keeps your photos and videos private and away from prying eyes. This application has a number of security features including:
- Creating a fake vault and password to trick someone.
- Encryption for your private photo albums.
- The ability to log in using Touch ID.
- Anyone trying to get into your Vault app will have their photo taken.
- Your photos and videos are stored in a private cloud.
If someone is trying to secretly communicate with someone, CoverMe is the app they’ll likely use. A user can privately text and call anyone within the application.
With CoverMe, users can also:
- Send disappearing text messages.
- Shake their phone to hide and lock texts.
- Secure texts, calls, contacts, photos, videos, and other files in a vault.
- Create a private number.
For parents or spouses, they may install a spy app on their child’s or partner’s cell phone to track their activities. These applications are designed to be undetectable and hidden from the phone owner. The installer of the app could monitor your texts, emails, web browsing history, and even listen to phone calls. If you believe someone has installed spyware on your smartphone, you’ll need to know how to find hidden apps.
How To Find Hidden Apps On Your Device
For Android Devices:
- Step 1: Go to the Android phone’s settings.
- Step 2: Click on Apps.
- Step 3: Click on the three vertical dots on the top right.
- Step 4: Choose “Show system apps” to view all of the phone’s applications.
- Step 1: Open the App Store.
- Step 2: Click on your profile icon on the top right.
- Step 3: Go to “Purchased”.
- Step 4: Click on “Not On This iPhone” to view hidden cloud apps.
Also on an iPhone, you could find hidden apps in homepage folders.
All of this information should help you understand why people would hide phone applications and how to find them on Android and iPhone devices.
Want to learn about other technology how-to’s? Check out our articles on Safeguarde!