Internet safety has become a major concern, especially for parents. The internet and various web browsers like Google Chrome have made it possible, even for kids, to readily access all sorts of content including explicit adult content and pornographic materials. Hence, more and more parents wish to learn more parental control ways to block adult websites. This is also the reason why there is great demand for articles like How to block adult’s websites on Google Chrome: 2021 Guide for Parents.
It is as easy as entering keywords on the Google Chrome browser to have access to a myriad of porn sites. Fortunately, there are several ways how to block porn websites and keep your kids away from Google Chrome porn searches. You can block adult websites or block porn on Chrome using built-in Chrome porn blocker features as well as use third-party adult website blocker apps.
How to Block Adult Websites in Google Chrome On Computer
If you have a family computer or share your own computer with your kids, you should make sure to block adult websites on Google Chrome. The same is true if your kids have their own computers. It would be very easy for kids to type keywords like “porn”, hit the enter key, and have a multitude of search results. The search results will usually lead them to porn sites or other websites that have adult content. In some instances, they might end up in forum sites where they could be targeted by child predators or tricked into sharing sensitive data.
There are several ways how to block adult content on Google Chrome. You can specifically block adult websites or tweak general settings to restrict websites that your child can visit. There are also third-party porn blocker chrome apps that work on computers.
- Google Chrome Restrictions
Google Chrome may have privacy issues in terms of its data collection but it remains one of the web browsers that provides great security and privacy features. There is a wide range of security options that users can access for free. Such restrictions are a great first step in ensuring your kid’s safety online.
In terms of Google porn blocker options, you can simply add URLs to the websites that you want to be blocked. For instance, add the URL of a popular porn site and voila – porn site blocked! It’s pretty easy to block adult websites and porn sites as well, simply follow these steps:
- Open Google Chrome then proceed to settings.
- Next, navigate to Network Settings and then go to change Proxy Settings.
- The internet properties will show up. From here, click on Security.
- Choose ‘Restricted Sites’.
- Next, click on ‘Sites’.
- You can now add the URLs of the websites that you wish to block.
- Save the changes and re-open Google Chrome.
- Chrome Extensions
Google Chrome is also known to offer a range of extensions to provide the best user experience. Each extension comes with a variety of options that focus on specific aspects or utility categories. You can customize the extensions to block websites you deem inappropriate for your kids. Yes, this, therefore, means that you can get porn blocker extensions on Google Chrome.
You can add an adult website blocker extension by following these easy and simple steps:
- Open Google Chrome.
- Next, add the extension of any website blocker of your choice.
- You must then add it to Chrome to download it.
- Once you finish downloading it, re-open Google Chrome and see the change.
The download extensions are shown in the top right corner; you can also go on the extensions from there. From there, you can go ahead and add website URLs that you want to be blocked (take note, though, that not all extensions allow this).
- Safe Search in Chrome
Google Chrome also offers a range of parental control settings to better ensure your child’s online safety. After all, you can’t just hover over your kid’s shoulder whenever they are on the computer. First off, it’s improbable since you’ll certainly have several things to accomplish in a day. Also, that would be a bit too much and might agitate your kid.
You can instead turn on Google’s SafeSearch. This parental control setting can greatly help in filtering out inappropriate content from your Chrome search results. This feature is not exactly a hundred percent accurate but it goes a long way in keeping your kids away from over 18 sites, violent sites, and porn sites. Mind you, this feature will not block the site itself but will block inappropriate searches instead.
To turn on SafeSearch on Google Chrome, simply do the following:
- Open the Google homepage.
- Next, click Settings in the lower right corner.
- From the pop-up menu, select the Search settings.
- Enable the SafeSearch filters by clicking on/checking the Turn on SafeSearch box.
- Click Save.
- Parental Control App
Yet another effective method how to block porn on Chrome is by using third-party adult website blockers. You can also use parental control apps and monitoring software that has web filtering features. There are many such apps available in the market and some may even claim to be free. While some of such free apps do deliver, most have hidden charges or will just steal your data and do nothing else. Hence, you have to make sure to get reliable parental control apps and monitoring software from trusted developers.
The best app may not always be the same for everyone. Do your research before purchasing a subscription. Make sure that it’s compatible with your computer and has site blocking or search filtering features. The download and installation process may vary depending on the app or software of your choice.
Most parental control apps do not just focus on website blocking. This means that you can block adult websites as well as keep tabs on other in-device and online activities. Some allow you to keep track of social media platforms. Some also offer keylog monitoring as well as random screenshots.
- Chrome’ Supervised User Feature
Another parental control feature introduced by Google Chrome is its Supervised User Feature. This is also an effective way to block adult websites as well as any other website that you don’t want your kids to access just yet. This basically entails creating a separate account for your child and then setting the restrictions there. This feature, however, has since been removed. You can instead create an account for your child with Family Link.
You can create a Google account for your child and manage it through Family Link. This way, your child can access Google Search, Chrome, and Gmail. At the same time, you can set up basic parental controls to supervise them.
To set this up on your computer, follow these steps:
- Go to the Create your Google Account page.
- Follow the instructions and enter all the needed information.
- Next, sign in with your Google Account and choose a way to provide parental consent for your child’s account.
- A confirmation will appear on the screen once you’re done.
How to Block Adult Websites in Google Chrome On Android
The methods on how to block adult sites in Google Chrome on computers may also be used to block adult websites on Android devices. You can set up Google Chrome restrictions on your child’s device before allowing them to use it on their own.
Just like on computers, there are also parental control apps and monitoring software that can help you block porn sites and other unwanted websites. You can use apps that work across different platforms. You can also opt to use apps that are specifically developed for Android devices.
You can set site permissions without changing the default settings. You can change the settings for all sites by doing the following:
- Open the Chrome app on your Android device.
- To the right of the address bar, tap on More.
- Next, tap on Settings.
- Tap Site settings under Advanced.
- Tap on the permission you want to update.
You can also allow or block permissions for a specific site. This means that you can block porn sites specifically. The said site will then work under the permissions you specifically set instead of the default settings. To do this, simply:
- Open the Chrome app on your Android device.
- Go to the specific website you want to block or change the settings of.
- Tap Lock (located to the left of the address bar).
- Tap on Permissions.
- Tap the permission you wish to update.
- Select the setting/s you want to change.
- You can also clear the site’s settings by tapping on Reset permissions.
How to Block Adult Websites on Chrome for iPhone
Whenever you choose to block a website, Apple’s adult-content list is enforced. This automatically blocks all adult content websites that have been previously visited as well as prevents access to new ones. Restrictions are also automatically applied to all browsers including Google Chrome.
You can turn on restrictions in the settings by doing the following steps:
- Go to the Settings tab on your phone.
- Click on the Screen Time tab.
- Click on Content & Privacy Restrictions. (If you haven’t yet, create a Screen Time passcode).
- Under the Content Restrictions tab, tap on the Web content option.
- Click the Limit Adult Websites option.
- Choose the Never Allow option.
- Under the Never Allow tab, click on Add website then input the URL.
- Click on Done to save the changes you made.
Considering how tech-savvy kids are these days, they could easily access just about any website they want to. It’s up to parents to set necessary measures to keep kids from accessing inappropriate websites. Block porn sites and other websites that contain violence or other adult content as a proactive measure.