Smartphones have become more than just devices to make calls and send messages. A phone is essentially an extension of a person’s office or personal file cabinet. It can contain just about anything from photos and videos to important documents. Also, smartphones usually contain essential apps such as social media and messaging apps used in socializing and networking, banking apps, and other similar apps.
As a treasure trove of personal and sensitive data, a screen lock is no longer enough to protect a smartphone. A screen lock and app lock combo is a better way to go. There are two main ways to password-protect apps on Android devices. You can simply enable available app lock options that put a passcode on apps on your device. The other option is to download third-party application locker Android apps or phone lock apps for Android from Google Play Store.
Why Lock Apps on Android Phones?
Locking apps on Android is a great phone security practice. This could come in several forms, such as passcode on apps or password lock for apps, pattern app lock, and even biometrics. Before we go into detailed instructions on how to lock apps on Android, let’s take a look at the possible reasons for wanting to do so.
- Security – Keep Others From Accessing Personal Files
Probably the main reason for wanting to use phone locks for Android is security. As previously emphasized, smartphones have evolved to essentially become extensions of people’s lives. That said, Android app locks are a great way to keep personal and sensitive data secure. This is because app locks, whether built-in features or third-party apps, can effectively keep others from accessing your files or information in sensitive or essential apps.
- Have Some Control Even When Others are Using Your Device
App locks also come in handy especially if you regularly let other people use your device. Whether it’s your spouse, your friends, or your child, or no matter how close you are to that person, there are some things that you’d naturally wish to keep private. In this instance, Android lock apps are a great way to still have control of what others can see even when you let them use your device without supervision. This is also a great way to prevent kids from making unwarranted purchases, sending awkward or embarrassing messages or photos, and even deleting important files.
- In Case of Phone Loss or Theft
We’ve already established that lock apps on Android are a great way to keep your files and data secure. In connection to this, app locks are most helpful if your smartphone gets lost or stolen. Unfortunately, people can find ways to bypass screen locks especially with the help of technology. An Android app lock is therefore a helpful layer of protection in case of phone loss or theft. This is especially important in keeping thieves from accessing online banking information, personal chats and messages, possibly sensitive photos, videos, and/or files, and other similar information contained in your smartphone.
App locks are helpful, no doubt about that. Now it’s only a matter of activating your in-device or pre-installed app lock or choosing a reliable app lock from the Google Play Store. Read on then to find out how to put a lock on apps on different Android devices.
How To Lock Apps On Samsung Phones
If you have a Samsung device, there are two main ways to go about your app lock security. Of course, you can always choose to download and use a third-party password apps lock or PIN lock app from Google Play Store
- Samsung App Lock: S Secure
Some Samsung devices have their pre-installed lock app called S Secure. In case your Samsung device does not have S Secure pre-installed, you can simply download it from the Google Play Store. To use this app lock feature, simply do the following:
- Open Settings.
- Scroll to Advanced Features.
- Tap on the Lock and Mask apps option.
- Toggle the switch On.
- Choose your preferred lock type. S Secure offers four: pattern, PIN, password, and Face unlock.
- Next, tap on Locked apps. If you are just setting it up, expect the Locked apps screen that appears to be blank.
- Tap the Add button on the top right corner. A list of apps with a check box will then appear.
- Select the apps you want to lock.
- Go back to see the selected apps on the previously blank Locked apps screen.
Once you finish these steps, there will be a lock symbol next to the apps you selected when you check the app carousel.
- Samsung Secure Folder
The availability of the app lock feature on Samsung devices will depend on your phone model as well as your location. If the S Secure app lock is not available on your device then you might have the Secure Folder feature.
Super Secure Is an encrypted storage stage in Samsung Galaxy smartphones which makes it a great alternative to lockup Galaxy phones. This feature is separated from your main account with a code usually paired with biometric authentication. Moreover, the apps and all the data in the Secure Folder can’t be accessed externally with a USB cable connected to a PC.
If you don’t have the Secure Folder yet, you can download it from Google Play Store. To enable Secure Folder, you have to swipe down from the top of the screen to pull down the quick access panel and then tap Secure Folder. To access Secure Folder, you can also do the following:
- Open Settings.
- Tap Biometrics and Security.
- Tap Secure Folder.
From there, you can set up your Secure Folder. You can choose the Lock Type – Pattern, Fingerprints, Iris. You can also choose to show the Secure Folder on your app screen. If you do this, you can simply select Secure Folder on your app screen and then proceed to add apps from there. You can also choose to directly download an app within the Secure Folder since it interestingly has a built-in app store or access to the Google Play Store. To do so, just tap on Download from Play Store.
You also have to note that adding an app to the Secure Folder will create a separate instance of the same app. This means that when you register on the app inside Secure Folder, the old, unprotected version will be deactivated but not removed.
How to Lock Apps on a OnePlus Phone
If you are using a OnePlus phone, you already have a built-in feature for Android app locking. Here’s how to lock apps on Android by enabling the said feature:
- Go to Settings.
- Next, tap on Utilities then tap on App locker.
- Choose your preferred screen lock method.
- Next, choose how you want the lock screen to display notifications and then tap Done.
- Once the App locker menu opens, tap on the Add Apps option.
- Select the apps you want to secure or lock from the list
- Go back to see the selected apps already on the list.
How to Lock Apps on a Xiaomi Phone
If you have a Xiaomi device that’s running on MIUI, you can also enable a built-in app lock feature. Simply follow these steps on how to put a password on apps:
- Open Settings then scroll down and tap on Apps.
- Next, tap on App lock where you will then see an option to Turn on the feature.
- You will find that Xiaomi has already preselected apps that it thinks you will most likely want to lock.
- Next, tap Turn on.
- Take note that if your phone has a lock code, you will be prompted to enter it at this point.
- You will next see a list of apps that can be locked or protected. Just select all the apps you want then tap Use App lock.
- You may then be prompted to enter your Mi account credentials; please note that this is not mandatory but you may choose to do so. If you don’t want to, simply tap on Not now.
- Next, you will need to set a PIN to access the locked apps.
- You can set a PIN, a pattern, or a password and you’re done.
How to Lock Apps on a Huawei Phone
If you are a Huawei phone user, here’s how to put a lock on apps or passcode on apps:
- Open Settings then go to Security.
- Next, tap on App Lock.
- At this point, you will be asked to select a password for App Lock. You can choose between an existing lock screen password or a custom PIN.
- Enter the new PIN. If you have input your fingerprint, you may also choose to use that to unlock apps on the next screen.
- Next, choose the apps you want to secure from the list of apps that appear.
To Wrap It Up
If you’ve gotten this far, we hope that you have gotten the information that you’ve come here for. Moreover, now that you know how to lock apps on Android phones (and different devices at that too), please take advantage of this feature as much as you can as soon as possible. Despite the advancements in technology and society in general, or perhaps, in part, because of these advancements, obtaining sensitive information is something that many people would gladly do. In many instances, people specifically find ways to steal a smartphone if only to access personal and sensitive details.
To wrap up this article, we’ll leave you with a few more tips that could helpfully help you have a more secure phone. First off, ensure that your device is physically secure at all times especially if you have extra-sensitive information in it. Use strong passwords and even two-factor authentication to better monitor access to your device. Use all possible security measures; in particular, take time to learn and take advantage of your device’s built-in security features. Lastly, always be vigilant and cautious of the people you allow to have access to your device.