Most phone providers and network carriers have adapted a great feature of the old-fashioned telephones, the voicemail. This tool could come in handy during those times you’re expecting important phone calls but you can’t afford to just sit around and wait. It could also be useful if you simply want to keep tabs on any scammers and ensure your iPhone security. Voicemail is a polite and respectful way of letting the person on the other line know that you may be unavailable at the moment, but you’re willing to take their message or call them back as soon as possible.
This amazing feature is also available in iPhones in select regions and from select network carriers. If voicemail is accessible for you and you wish to know how to set up voicemail on iPhone, read on as we’ll be sharing with you the step-by-step processes, as well as the procedure of playing or deleting voicemail messages on iPhones.
How To Set Up Your iPhone Voicemail Via The Phone App
Due to certain factors, you can set up voicemail for free, for an additional charge, or not possible at all. And the steps on how to set voicemail on iPhones might slightly vary, depending on the OS version or the network carrier. Nevertheless, the procedure on how to set up voicemail on iPhones is pretty much straightforward.
So even if you’ve always wanted to put up a voicemail on your mobile device, you have to make sure first that all requirements are met. And if it’s, indeed, possible for you to have your voicemail account, here’s how to set up your voicemail on your iPhone.
- From your iPhone’s home screen, launch the Phone app by tapping on the telephone handle icon.
- Tap on the Voicemail button located on the lower-right portion of the screen.
- If it’s your first time creating an account, select Set Up Now. Otherwise, log in when prompted.
- During the set-up process, you’ll be asked to create an account with a 4 to 6-digit password. You might need to re-enter to confirm the action.
- You’ll then be redirected to a page where you can choose your greeting. Tap Default to apply your carrier’s pre-recorded generic message or tap Custom to record your greeting.
- Hit Stop once finished then tap Done or Save to complete the setup.
Once done, your voicemail should automatically function as programmed. If you have Siri set up, you can play, share, or delete voicemail messages through a voice command. You may, of course, manually do so by navigating to the Voicemail section of the Phone app. Simply select the message and the respective button, depending on the action you wish to take.
How To Set Up Your iPhone Voicemail Through Your Carrier
As aforementioned, network carriers are huge factors in setting up iPhone call voicemail accounts. Below are the step-by-step processes on how to activate voicemail on iPhone, depending on which carrier you use.
- Voicemail for AT&T
If you’re an AT&T subscriber, you can set up voicemail by pressing and holding the number 1 from the Phone app’s keypad. Follow the prompts to further set up your account such as setting the password and creating a greeting message.
- Voicemail for Verizon and T-Mobile
For Verizon and T-Mobile users, the process of making a voicemail on an iPhone is similar to Apple’s standard procedure (as outlined in the first section of this article).
- Voicemail for Sprint
For Sprint subscribers, you’d also have to press and hold the #1 from the Phone app’s keypad. To set up voicemail, you’ll need to create a 4 to 10-digit passcode for your account. You’ll then be asked to record your name and set a greeting message. Finally, you’ll be prompted to enable or not the One-Touch Access feature.
- Voicemail for Other Carriers
Other network carriers, usually follow Apple’s standard procedure for iPhone voicemail setup. Some might have also patterned their voicemail setup iPhone processes with any of the major carriers. If nothing works, it’s best to reach out to them and coordinate with them on how to properly put up an iPhone voicemail.
My iPhone Voicemail Is Not Working. How Do I Fix It?
Like any other mobile feature or utility tool, the voicemail iPhone isn’t utterly perfect. There are instances where users can’t set up voicemail on iPhone even if it’s supported in their region and by their network carrier. Also, some experience technical issues right after or for a certain time after successfully setting up their voicemail accounts.
Here are some troubleshooting steps you could take in case your iPhone voicemail is not working. Of course, you could always seek professional help, but we highly recommend ruling out these options first or checking out your iPhone voicemail settings beforehand to avoid unnecessary waste of time, money, and energy.
- Restart Device
Restarting your iPhone may sound basic or inappropriate but in reality, this simple step can address several minor issues within your device’s utility tools and installed apps.
- Press and hold the power button on the upper side of your iPhone.
- Slide the power off switch prompter on your screen.
- Keep the iPhone turned off for about a minute or two.
- Press and hold the power button again until the Apple logo pops up on your screen.
- Update iOS
iOS updates are launched to address security loopholes and system vulnerabilities. Updates contain patches that are meant to fix bugs that could be the trigger for your voicemail issues or latencies.
- Ensure your iPhone’s fully charged or is plugged into power.
- Navigate to the Settings page.
- Go to the General section.
- Tap on the Software Update option.
- Select the update you wish to install.
- Tap Install Now or Download and Install.
- Enter the passcode to confirm the action.
- Reset Password
It’s also possible that the issue is within your voicemail account and not the iPhone itself. Hence, resetting your password might do the trick.
- Navigate to your iPhone’s Settings page.
- Access the Phone section.
- Select the Change Voicemail Password option.
- Set your new voicemail account password.
- Tap Done.
- Contact Support
If all else fails, you could always reach out to your network carrier and ask for their help. Contact their tech specialist and disclose all relevant information so they can better assist you in addressing what might be causing the issues. Here are the hotline numbers of the major network carriers.
- AT&T – (800) 331-0500
- Boost Mobile – (866) 402-7366
- Cricket – (800) 274-2538
- Sprint – (888) 211-4727
- T-Mobile – (877) 746-0909
- Verizon – (800) 922-0204
How To Create A Visual Voicemail Transcript
Aside from the regular Voicemail, iPhone and most network carriers also offer Visual Voicemail and Voicemail Transcription. In a nutshell, voicemail transcripts are transcribed voicemail messages so you can read whatever voice message was left by your caller.
Creating a visual voicemail transcript is as easy as setting up voicemail on iPhones. If this feature is supported in your region and by your carrier, you’ll first need to ensure Siri is enabled in your iPhone. Access the Settings page > Go to Siri & Search > Select Language English (U.S.) or English (Canada). Once set up, you may then access your Voicemail from the Phone page, and select a specific voicemail message. It might initially show Transcribing Voicemail… but after a few seconds, you should be able to read the message on your screen.
How To Change Your Voicemail on an iPhone
After you’ve set up voicemail for your iPhone, you’ll also have the option to change certain settings on your account. The process of how to change voicemail on iPhones takes only a few clicks within the voicemail settings iPhone page. Here’s how.
- To change the password: iPhone’s Settings > Phone > Change Voicemail Password > Set new password.
- To change the greeting message: iPhone’s Settings > Phone > Voicemail > Greeting > Create new greeting message.
- To change the notification alert: iPhone’s Settings > Phone > Voicemail > Sounds & Haptics or Settings > Sounds > Choose new alert sound.