Social media platforms continue to evolve, with new platforms and features being released every day. The next social media age is upon us with the recent emergence of TikTok. With its major popularity and user base, many new apps have followed suit, releasing their own take on the TikTok format. One such app is Byte.
What Is The Byte App?
Byte is a newer social media app, released on January 24, 2020, where users can create short-form videos that can be shared with other users. The major difference between Byte and TikTok is that Byte emphasizes following and sharing content within communities. Upon downloading the app, users are urged to follow communities such as /funny and /music.
On a Byte user’s profile, users can create their own handle, profile image, and share a little about themselves. Once the account is all set up, users can share their short looping videos on their profile or within specific communities.
Similar to TikTok, when you open the Byte app, you automatically land on the “Your mix” feed. These are videos recommended to you based on your likes and who you follow. There is also the “Following” feed where users can view videos from creators and communities they follow.
The Byte app is available for download on iOS and Android devices via the App Store and Google Play.
Byte is definitely a let down when it comes to the features it offers, especially when compared to TikTok. Here are some of the key features of the Byte app:
- Color Filters: When recording a live video, you can apply several color filters including tropical, shift, and colors. By pressing on the screen once you’ve chosen your filter, you can easily adjust the coloring.
- Video Enhancement: Add text, sound, and music to your video.
- Self Destruct: You can set your Byte video to disappear from the platform after a certain amount of time.
- Zen Mode: In your settings, you can activate this mode to remove video numbers and other app distractions so you can enjoy the content on the platform.
- Search: Search the app for specific communities, channels, people, hashtags, and sounds.
Is Byte Better Than TikTok?
After trying out the Byte app, it’s clear that it’s not better than TikTok. The features TikTok offers are unparalleled by Byte or any other similar social networking app. Stickers, filters, Duet, Stitch, parental controls, TikTok rewards, and the ability to connect your account to Instagram are just a few of the many advantages of using TikTok over Byte.
Is Byte A Safe App?
I wouldn’t jump to the conclusion that Byte isn’t safe, but it doesn’t include enough safety and privacy measures for users. Compared to TikTok, Byte does not include parental controls, screen time, privacy, and security settings. The only security setting the app does have is the ability to block accounts.
That is everything there is to know about the Byte app. Currently, we do not recommend the app especially when it comes to your safety and security. Byte has a long way to go to meet the high standards set by TikTok.
Related Post: TikTok Safety Tips For Kids